$199 for a forms plugin? That’s outrageous!
That’s what I thought when I first noticed Gravity Forms in 2013. Needless to say, I did not purchase the plugin then.
Fast forward to November 2013, I had a complicated requirement of adding some custom fields to the registration form of a website. And to complicate things even further, I needed different forms for different user types.
2 hours and 4 plugins later, I was still in dark. I did a final search to find if something like this was possible manual coding. Simply coding it in was again more complicated than normal since the theme that had its own strange(and completely non customizable) way of handling login and registration forms.
Finally, I found Gravity Forms. 30 minutes later, I had the implementation ready to be shown to the client. Gravity Forms saved quite a lot of time for me. I have been using the plugin since then and it is impressive.
Gravity Forms is the best Form Generator plugin for WordPress.
If you are reading this review, I think you are as skeptical as I was the first time. One honest advice from one skeptic to another: Get this plugin. You won’t regret it.Purchase Gravity Forms
What is Gravity Forms
Gravity Forms is “form generator” and “lead data management” plugin for WordPress.
Form Generator? Lead Data Management?
These are the two biggest roles of Gravity Forms out of the box.
Form Generation: You can create new forms easily by just selecting the fields you want and dragging and dropping them to determine their order. It is the simplest form building process I have seen in a WordPress plugin.
Lead Data Management: This is a major differentiator. Other form plugins just send you a mail or just display the data in the admin panel. Gravity Forms goes several steps ahead and allows you to view and edit submitted data. You can also export the data in case you want it to share it.
If I list all the features, that will be a very long list. Instead, I will just summarise the features that I find useful and are major differentiators:
- Multi Page Forms: Have a big form? Don’t scare your users by showing all the 20 fields at once. Just divide the form into multiple pages. It is quite easy to do with Gravity Forms. It also allows you to take surveys without paying for any other service.
- Smart Forms: Based on previous forms or current page, Gravity Forms can be configured to hide or show some fields. This allows you to make your forms smart and only show the fields that are suitable.
- Limited/Scheduled Forms: Want a form to accept entries for a limited amount of time? Only want 10 entries? All this is possible with Gravity Forms and without any coding.
- Multiple Types of Fields: Want a text box? A drop down? A group of checkboxes? Radio buttons? Gravity forms has got you covered very well.
- Anti Spam Measures: Gravity Forms has inbuilt integration for multiple anti spam measures. There is Really Simple Captcha, Math Puzzle, reCaptcha support built in. And if you get a developer license, you get to use Picatcha, which is easier to use for visitors. And if you do not want to annoy your visitors with nasty captchas, it has honey pot protection built in.
- Add Ons: Business and Developer license holders get access to add ons which add new features to the already impressive capabilities. PayPal integration, multiple mailing list providers(including excellent Mailchimp) and Zapier are there. With these add ons, you can use Gravity Forms to automate your business, make registration/subscription easier for your easier and even conduct test and quizzes.
- WordPress Integration: Gravity Forms is a WordPRess plugin built specifically for WordPress and is nicely integrated with it. Want to make a registration form for users? That’s possible! Want to accept guest posts through a form? That’s possible as well! And you can add any form at any place via its powerful shortcode, widget and ability to be called via PHP in theme files.
- Automatic Theme Integration: Gravity Forms automatically integrates itself with your theme. So it will match the look and feel straight out of the box. However, if for some reason, your theme does not have the styling information for forms, it has a fall back stylesheet which makes sure that it will look good!
- Entry Management: You can view and edit all the data right from your WordPress dashboard. And even better, you can export it for analysis easily.
Why Do I Recommend Gravity Forms
I won’t lie to you. Most of the features of Gravity Forms can be achieved using other plugins. However, you will need either custom coding or combinations of plugins. The secret of Gravity Forms lies in bringing the cost effectiveness, efficiency and speed together.
This Plugin is Cheap
Yes, I am calling a $199 plugin (developer license) cheap. This is in comparison to the time and money that you will spend implementing all the features that this plugin packs.
Right now, here’s what I am doing with Gravity Forms:
- Accepting payments
- Contact forms
- Newsletter registrations
- Automating project creation in Basecamp
Doing all this would have taken me several hours. If I wanted to save time, doing this all via other plugins would have cost me more than $199 for sure. Gravity forms will save your money and time.
Ease of use
The plugin is very easy to use. Process of building a form is quite intuitive. I have used plugins where doing something feels like an exercise. Not this plugin! Everything felt natural. The option placement is very well thought out.
And add the ease of adding the forms to pages or sidebars, this plugin is very easy to use!
Unlike some premium plugins and themes, Gravity Forms has update mechanism built in. You have to enter your license key in the settings and after that, updates are easy.
If you have time to build custom solutions or try lots of plugins, I’ll not stop you. But if you want to focus on your business and not waste time, go for Gravity Forms. It is an excellent plugin and I recommend it.